Jeonju International Sori Festival comes to a close with global push
简介The Jeonju International Sori Festival ended on Sept. 24, with the organizers adding global and cros ...
The Jeonju International Sori Festival ended on Sept. 24, with the organizers adding global and cross-cultural elements to this year's event as part of their aim to elevate the Korean traditional music festival on the global stage.
The festival, one of the leading cultural events held in North Jeolla Province, ran from Sept. 15 to 24 around Jeonju Hanok Village and 14 other cities and districts of the province. Launched in 2001, this year’s festival was held under the theme of “coexistence and recovery,” featuring a total of 108 performances within 89 programs.
While centering on Korean classical music and pansori, a traditional genre of musical storytelling, this year’s Sori Festival also highlighted global elements by inviting a handful of global musicians and influencers from across the world. Artists from 11 countries, including Canada, Australia, Vietnam, Estonia, Uzbekistan, Poland and the United Arab Emirates, joined the festival to perform their traditional sounds. Another special guest was Anushka Sen, a high-profile Indian television actress and social media influencer, who boasts over 39 million followers on her Instagram account.
Sen, who said it was her first time experiencing Korean traditional pansori, told The Korea Herald, “It’s also my first time visiting Jeonju and I think it's a beautiful city. Also, I’ve never heard anything like pansori, which sounds so magical as well. I’m so excited to explore more of Korean traditional sounds in the future.” Sen, who was recently appointed as an honorary brand ambassador of Korean tourism by the Korea Tourism Organization, went on to express her hopes to become the bridge between Korea and India as she learns more about Korean culture.
As part of the efforts to extend the festival's global reach, cellist-conductor Chang Han-na and cellist Mischa Maisky performed with Ditto Orchestra, while Kang Kwon-soon, a leading vocalist in the traditional Korean music scene, joined hands with harpsichord player Lee Min-joo for a Western touch. The festival also saw a special performance celebrating 60 years of diplomatic relations between Korea and Canada, as well as a collaborative performance that encompassed the traditional sounds of Korea, China and Japan.
“We’ve featured our best performances through diverse programs for this year’s festival with a goal to enhance its artistry and festivity,” the committee for the Sori Festival said during a press conference for the closing ceremony.
“We think it showed a lot of potential for the development of Korea's art scene.”
An opening ceremony was graced by the Jeonju Symphony Orchestra, gayageum player Moon Yang-sook, pansori singers Ko Yeong-yeol, Kim Yul-hee, baritone Kim Gi-hoon and soprano Seo Sun-young. Korean folk song master Lee Hee-moon closed the 10-day festival with a collaborative performance with the band Obangsin.
A total of 187 fatal occupational incidents involving E-9 foreign workers occurred during the period ...
Last year's deadly crowd crush at Itaewon, Seoul claimed more than lives. Recent data showed 1,316 f ...
세르게이 라브로프 러시아 외무부 장관이 지난 2021년 3월 23일 오후 인천국제공항을 통해 입국하고 있다. 연합뉴스북한이 세르게이 라브로프 러시아 외무장관의 방북 소식을 알렸다. ...
[Herald Interview] Netflix's ‘Devil’s Plan’ expands realm of survival game shows
Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
[view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기
Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
'Apgujeong Box Girl' sparks online debate
New government initiative offers W3b reward to combat digital piracy
- Wage talks between Kia, labor union fail again
- Seoul defense exhibition aims to boost arms exports
- [이번 주 리뷰] 중동 전쟁 우려…국민의힘 보선 참패(9~14일)
- Doosan Robotics to supply chicken
- Wage talks between Kia, labor union fail again
- LG Innotek wins patents for EV charging technology
- Enhypen announces Nov. 17 comeback with 'Orange Blood'
- Andong, serene destination for immersing in traditions
- 김웅 "국민은 바꾸라는데 단결만 얘기…의총 뭐하러 하느냐"
- [New in Korean] Booker Prize
- 탈북민단체, 대북전단 20만장 살포…"더 많은 정보, 계속 보낼 것"
- S. Korea picks up 1st gold in roller skating
- S. Korean refiners set for turnaround in Q3 on stronger margins
- NewJeans hits 1 bln streams mark on Spotify with debut album
- Lotte names ex
- Long Chuseok holiday to boost domestic trips
- Inflation driving up costs to eat out
- Traffic heavy on expressways following Chuseok
- [Korea Beyond Korea] ‘More cross
- S. Korea's drop in exports eases in Sept. on chip sales recovery
- The many regional flavors of songpyeon, a Korean holiday dessert
- S. Korea in contention for team medal in women's golf
- Chuseok’s celestial journey: Best spots for full moon gazing in Seoul
- Swimmer, gamers celebrate Chuseok with gold medals
- With teammate's help, inconsolable shooter regroups in time to win bronze